Want to Optimize your Manufacturing Processes? Try our
Upgrade to Alpha™!
Alpha™ coating is an extremely hard, all-purpose, multi-layer coating that has ZrN as the top layer. The bulk coating is much harder than its individual components. This synergy results in exceptional abrasion resistance and lubricity.
The extreme hardness of Alpha™ coating (4600 Hv) and the lubricity provided by ZrN, enable Alpha™ to outperform others in a wide variety of applications, especially punching, forming and cutting tools.
Alpha™ will typically last two to four times longer than TiN due to its superior hardness, abrasion resistance and lubricity.
• Thickness: .0001" - .0002" (2 - 5 microns)
• Hardness: 4400 - 4600 Hv
• Deposition Temp. 700 - 800°F
Case History #1
Alpha™ Coated Thread Whirling Inserts
• Workpiece: 316L SS & Ti-6Al-4V
• Results: Uncoated: 10 Parts
Coated: 500-1000 Parts
Life: 50 - 100X
• Coating Cost - $2.25 per insert
• Payback - > 100 x
Case History 2
Alpha™ Coated Form Tool
• Before Coating - Polishing Draw Die every 400 hits due to galling and metal buildup
• After Coating with Alpha™ - 100,000+ hits, with no die polishing.
• Night and Day Difference
"The stainless steel valve balls that were Alpha™ coated are still going strong after 4 months...we used to only get 2-3 weeks out of them. "
- Missouri customer processing abrasive material
The Alpha™ coating that was utilized last time for these small parts worked great. I was very pleased with the result as it greatly increased the part life. I was able to make 500 passes using the scratch testing equipment and saw no visible degradation of the coating under our microscope (in comparison, the chrome plating showed visible signs of wear after only 100 passes.)
- Minnesota customer using Alpha™ on some small probe tips to test abrasive material.